Thursday 27 December 2012

Nana's Toasty Tootsies

I've had to go under the radar the last few months, since I've been making Christmas gifts.

Now that the gifts are safely in the hands of their intended recipients, I can safely post them here without worrying that someone will accidentally come across them.

This year Nana Munro got some toasty warm stocking stitch socks, since I can't think of a better way to say "I love you Nana" than knitting her a pair of socks.

Nana Munro spent a few weeks in hospital earlier this year, and I used the opportunity to sneakily measure her feet when a Nurse had to check the state of her lower legs and toes.

Diabetes and high blood pressure causing complications of a lung infection is NOT a fun way to get some enforced time in bed!

Armed with her measurements I found some 4ply merino (John Q's Jewel series) in "her" shade of green and worked the toes and heel-flaps in some of the Opal left over from my ankle socks to make sure they were sturdy.

Before washing/blocking:



Since I have a cold and the rest home has a "No Visiting if Sick" policy in force at the moment, we had to do  a long-distance gift handover via a staffmember so I don't know what Nana's reaction to her socks was.

It was great to see her back on her feet and moving around, but terrifying thinking that I could accidentally land her in hospital again if I gave in to her badgering me for a hug.

The staffpeople are angels for helping me get through the situation without upsetting her with my refusal to come closer than the other side of the foyer and hug her.

When I'm better I will have to go give her a hug and find out what she thought of the socks.

Since the Jewel yarn isn't a "proper" sock yarn I'm going to dare her to wear them out so I can make her another pair ^.^

Have a safe and happy New Year!

~Topaz

No comments:

Post a Comment